Prakriti (mind and body type or dosha, according to Ayurveda)
- Ayurveda describes a unique concept of Prakriti (constitutions) and Vikruti.
- At the time of birth, every person has a unique combination of three Doshas(Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) in body and mind, it is called Prakriti (constitution).
- Like if any person has Vata Dosha dominance since birth that is called Vata Prakriti or Vata body type.
- A person's constitution does not usually change throughout a lifetime. As conditions changes in life, like diet, lifestyle, stress, etc. many factors can cause imbalance to your Prakriti its called Vikruti. so we can say Vikruti means current states of Doshas or diseased state of an individual.
Ayurveda believed that some factor influencing the Prakriti
- Time of conception season
- Health Condition of the uterus
- Condition of sperm and ovum
- Dietary habit and lifestyle of the mother during pregnancy
Types of Prakriti -
- Sharirik (physical constitution):- Ayurveda described seven typed of body types constitutions Each Prakriti has its own characteristics
- Vata -pitta
- pitta -Kaphaj
- vataj -kaphaj
- tridoshaj-vataj, pittaj, kaphaj
- saatvik Prakriti-satvik person is very spiritual and truthful
- rajasik Prakriti-this is the dosha of mind which lead a person to take action, work
- tamasik this is also a dosha of mind which drive a person lethargy
The relation between Prakriti and lifestyle
- According to Ayurveda, the key to health lies in the knowledge of our constitution (Prakriti).ayurveda explain very well how to balance Prakriti through diet and lifestyle
- the ayurvedic system provides details of the right food and drinks for each constitution, whether they should be cold or hot , raw or cooked, which taste they should have , which is the best time to wake up, and when to go bed.
- if we don't follow or live according the need of our constitutions Prakriti ,doshas will become unbalanced and lead to ill health vikrati
- Kapha Prakriti people more prone to obesity and Hyperlipidemia, if you have Kapha Prakriti you should avoid sweets, sour salty taste, and avoid day sleeping, and need to practice more regular yoga for balancing kaph.
- Vataj Prakriti people more prone to stress, depression so if you have Vata Prakriti you should favor a diet and lifestyle which balance your Vata dosha like sweet, oily food, does light yoga
- It is important to know your mind-body type or Prakriti ,after that you will be able to figure out what kind of diet and lifestyle perfect for you.
Here is an Ayurveda test to determine your body type-
how to take the quiz
- Each question has three choices
- The first answer is for vata dosha,second is for pitta dosha, third is for kapha dosha
- After finishing questionnaire ,add up the tick numbers,if the majority of your answers is Vata means your primary Prakriti is vata .If the majority of your answers pitta means your primary prakriti is pitta.
- For Prakriti (natural state of your body) choose the answer which is most applicable to you since childhood.
- For Vikrati (current state of your dosha)-Go through again the question and answer based on current experience or last one month.
- If Prakriti (state of dosha, when we born) is the difference from Vikruti (current state of dosha). it indicates the imbalance, it can lead us to disease and lifestyle disorder.
Physical Constitution(bodily structure and appearance)
|Body frame||thin body frame, not too muscular||average build and size, weight centered in the middle||big tall, well built, maybe overweight|
|Forehead, shoulder, and chest||Small||Medium||large, broad shoulder|
|Weight||light, difficulties in gaining weight,loses weight easily||medium, no difficulties in gaining or losing weight||heavy, overweight difficulties in losing weight,gain weight easily|
|skin texture and complexion||rough and dry,flaky, cool to touch, thin,easily tans, prominent veins||smooth and warm, oily, may have freckles or moles, prone to sunburn||thick and moist/greasy, |
cool, hardly tans
soft and smooth
|Hair||dry, brown or black, brittle and curly/frizzy||early graying /balding, soft, straight and fine, blonde, oily||thick and heavy tends to get greasy(oily)|
|Eyes||small and dry, active, blink a lot||bright ,sensitive ,sharp, reddish sclerae||large and moist, white sclerae|
|Lips||thin and dry||pink and soft||full moist, big and thick|
|Teeth||crooked, irregular with receding gums||yellowish, regular, medium, gums easily bleed||large, white, and straight, strong gums|
|Fingers & Nails||small and long fingers with chipped nails( like to bite nails )||Regular fingers with pink and soft nails, well-shaped||Wide, angular fingers with large and hard nails|
|Joints||cold, cracking||moderate||large and lubricated|
|heartbeat per minutes||70-90||60-70||50-60|
|Pulses||quick and irregular||warm and fast,jump like a frog||slow and deep ,glide like a swan|
|body temperature||feels colder than other cold feet and hands||feels hotter than others; palms, feet, and face warm or hot||normal, palms and feet cool|
|Appetite||irregular, variable||strong, cannot skip meals and will have to eat again after 3 or 4 hours||constant but can skip meals easily and tolerate hunger|
|Thirst||variable||excessive||rare can tolerate|
|digestion||irregular, forms of gas quick||quick, cause burning||prolonged, form mucous|
|liking towards to taste||sweet, sour, salty||sweet ,bitter,astringent||pungent ,astringent ,bitter|
|eating habit||eats quickly||moderate speed,eat frequently||chews food properly|
eat large amount but can go for long period
|Elimination(bowel movement )||Constipation||loose||heavy,large stool|
|perspiration||scanty with little odor||intense during physical activities or when it gets hot, sharp smell||constant and moderate, pleasant smell|
|sleep||a light sleeper awakes easily and may have difficulties falling asleep, sleep 5-6 hours sleep||deep and even, hardly needs 6 to 8 hours sleep||the long and sound sleeper has difficulties awakening even after long hours of sleep|
|dreams||fearful, flying,, restless, prone to nightmares||anger, fighting,sun passionate, and colorful||river, sentimental, romantic, watery|
|walk||fast with a light step||average speed, determining step||slow and steady step|
|weather||prefers warm climates, dislikes windy dry, and cold days||prefers cooler climates,|
loves winter, dislikes heat
|comfortable in most weather but can't stand cold and rainy days|
|Mental Constitution temperament||lively and enthusiastic,||likes to change purposeful, likes to convince||easy-going and accepting likes to support|
|social behavior||independent but insecure, nervous in new situations||outgoing, leader nature||good listener, lots of friends|
|negative traits||uncertain and jumpy||furious and bossy||greedy and possessive|
|emotions under stress||anxious and worried|
talks about their feeling
|irritable and aggressive|
keep feeling to themselves
|cool and calm,loyal ,stable|
|memory||good short term,quick to grasp,quick to forget||moderate, remember easily and forgets rather slowly||excellent memory hardly forgets anything|
|way of learning||learns through listening,enjoy doing lots of thing at once,can lose focus||learn through reading /visualing,focus discriminating finish what they start||grasping late but ultimately understand well|
|love||falls in and out of love easily||intense, passionate love affairs||long term relationships full of affection and love|
|creativity||distinct and detailed ideas in many areas||inventive in technical||creative when dealing with business things|
|decisions||making decisions often feels like a problematic and difficult process||makes decisions quickly and determined||take their time to think things through|
|interests or hobbies||love to traveling, dancing, arts||sports,keeping fit debating, politics,||business adventure,relaxing ,staying at home , food, literature|
|finances (spending habit)||spends easily, doesn't save much||spends money on certain chosen things, luxury calculate their expenditure wisely||saves money, spends freely on food and entertainment|
|activity||hyperactive, restless||active, love exercise and competition||lethargic|
|sex||changable,extreme or none at all||passionate and can be controlling||constant and steady desire|
|beliefs||rebellious, changing||determined, strong principles||permanent doesn't change easily|
|lifestyle||free and difficult to create habits and routine( eating, sleeping, etc.)||well planned and organized||regular, enjoy habits, but sometimes gets into a rut easily|
|vocal qualities talk||very talkative||talkative, good at arguments||slow, steady|
|voice||speak quickly, hoarse and cracking||loud and sharp if pitta people whisper can be clearly heard||pleasant, speak cautiously|